Support person services
The main target group for the support person service are detainees who are due to be released in up to six months. The support person service is voluntary and without compensation. Its purpose is to create a point of contact between the detainee and the rest of the society, or to enhance existing contacts, so that upon release the family and work relations would be restored quickly and without complications. The support person is focused on the needs of the detainee and offers help with obtaining social skills and adapting law-abiding behavior, thus reducing recidivism.
Support persons are volunteers who have undergone training and are able to mediate and supervise the detainee in his or her communication with government and municipal establishments, employers and family.
Since the support person service is financed (transport, training and other costs) by European Social Fund and the service must follow their standards, then volunteers are appointed by our cooperation partners that offer the support person service.
Support person service is offered by following partners:
- In Northern, North-Eastern and Western Estonia – Baltic Institute for Crime Prevention (www.crimeless.eu), project manager Eva Üprus, phone 5662 7356, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- In Southern Estonia – Johannes Mihkelson Centre (www.jmk.ee), project manager Veronika Varep, phone 5306 3893, email@example.com
The goal of the housing service is to offer a temporary living place for detainees recently released from prison who have no place or an unsuitable place for living. The service carries out supportive actions that aid the detainee to better integrate into society (social and financial advice, psychologist's consultation, employment and actions supporting self-sustaining). A support person is also available to assist with planning. Every released detainee will get an action plan that aims to develop the skills for self-sustaining and assists in finding employment and a place to live. Housing service is offered for up to six months, or longer if possible.
Housing service is offered by:
- In Laitse, Harju County – MTÜ Lootuse Küla (www.lootusekula.ee), head of service Viljam Borissenko, 5663 3067
- In Pärnu and Jõhvi – MTÜ Aktiviseerimiskeskus Tulevik (www.tulevik.info), head of service Murjam Vabrit, 5667 6238 (In Jõhvi 5623 8382)
- In Tartu County – MTÜ Johannes Mihkelsoni Keskus (www.jmk.ee), head of service Veronika Varep, 5306 3893
The service is financed by European Social Fund.